xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns#' Don't Forget South Central: Dispatches From Students in South Central LA

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Dispatches From Students in South Central LA

Humberto*, 7th grade, Honors

"I am thankful for having great teachers that care for me. Also, all of my teachers push me cause they know that I am smart but they know I don't show it. They also give me tips and comments to help me do better. I am also thankful because this year is going real fast and I just have to wait 5 months so my Dad could come home from prison and be with me for a long time like a father should do."

Valerie*, 7th grade, Honors

"My plans for Thanksgiving are to volunteer at a program and we are going to give the homeless people food. Another thing that I will be doing is hanging out with my family. I am always going to remember that day."

Susana*, 7th grade, ESL

"I am thankful for having my family with me and my plans for Thanksgiving are making food for my family and just celebrate with my family. I think that some people from my family are going to get drunk but they are not going to drive because that is illeagle to U.S.A."

James*, 7th Grade, Honors, living in a homeless shelter

"I am thankful for many things. I am thankful most for God waking me up to see another day and almost another year. I am also full of thanks for God has blessed me with a roof over my head, clothes on my body, shoes on my feet. Most of all food to eat. I am also thankful for being free. For living in a world full of freedom. I am thankful for my teachers. Without them, I wouldn't be able to do nothing in my life. Most of all, I am thankful for my family."

*not students' real names

image from zwani.com

No comments:

Post a Comment