Monday, November 24, 2014
The National Council for the Social Studies conference was everything I thought it would be and more. While the experience is fresh in my mind, I'll share my top 10 takeaways from the conference.
1. Twitter is great, but nothing beats person to person learning, networking, and inspiration!
2. The C3 Framework is coming. It's here. Lots of districts are moving on this. Is yours?
3. Michelle Herzog is the BUSINESS.
4. Just when you had your mind made up about the immigration policy you hear this guy speak: Jose Antonio Vargas.
5. Boston was a phenomenal place to hold a social studies conference.
6. LAUSD (cc: Ramon Cortines), teachers need to leave the classroom, the school, and sometimes the state to get top notch professional development. ITS FOR THE STUDENTS!
7. Charter school teachers want to get connected. Their people won't do it. Our people won't do it. WE'll DO IT.
8.We honor our own. Nobody else does. Honor an educator by being a part of our community.
9. Teachers shouldn't have to stay in hostels to afford top quality training.
10. Do you belong to a professional organization? If not, why? Numbers=power, respect for the profession.
CA Council for the Social Studies
National Council for the Social Studies
National Council of Teachers of English
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
National Science Teachers Association
Posted by avalonsensei at 2:26 PM